1. Goalkeeping may be the most important part to a teams success. Has a team ever won a playoff game with a keeper that is not playing in the top division of their city? I can't think of one.
2. When gauging how to rank the teams coming into this tournament the first thing I look at is where the elite talent is located. By elite talent I mean players who are the difference makers. Now obviously this is subject to opinion but I would say there are currently about 20-25 players who could be considered "elite".
3.With the majority of the elite being on ROI, Laos, France, and El Salvador it's not surprising they are probably the most successful teams in WCP history. Now I know this is practically blasphemy in 2012 BUT
4. Poland seems to be the team that everyone is talking about but I am not sold. They seem to be a team that has 2 elite guys and then a lot of slightly above average guys. Not sure that equals a championship.
5. Speaking of Poland, a 2-2 draw against Afghanistan is a bad result. Even if it is an exhibition game.
6. I have a lot of friends on France but I am very worried about that team. Not only are they missing some key guys but many of their guys are playing little to no soccer. Could be in for a bumpy ride.
7. Germany has managed to keep the Pattersons and picked up a few other players (not sure on names) but if Germany can get a bit of roster turnover they might actually make it out of their group this year.
8. I have seen a lot of teams practicing down at the facility and I am not exactly sure I get why. Unless you're going to train everyday then training 10 times a year is not going to help. It's fun but is it worth the expense?
9. Anybody got a pick for Golden Boot this year? With David Brown out, the race is wide open.
10. That being said it will almost certainly be someone from ROI. The teams in their group are bad and some of those games are going to get ugly.
11. I am excited to see what the always fashionable England womens team do to up their style this year. I am thinking leather bomber jackets embroidered with the 3 lions. Wicked.
12. So Ukraine women's to win this year right? That seems like a good guess.
13. 2-2 is such a bad result.
14. This year has been particularly quiet in terms of beaking on the blogs. I usually have to sensor so many more comments. Haters, where ya at?
15. Things are particularly secretive in the Jamaica camp. Secret training times, mystery exhibition games..... What are they working on behind the scenes? Could this be the year they finally put it all together and win the whole thing........ROFL
16. Biggest transfer of the year so far? Has to be Jay Tomchuk from ROI to Poland. One of the few natural finishers in this tournament. He'll score, alot.
17. One criticism I have with this years tournament is the introduction of a U18 division. I know its nice to get everyone involved but if these guys aren't good enough to make the bench of some of the bad senior teams then I have to question if it's something I want to watch.
18. Why not have a division for dogs? Get the pet owners involved.
19. Chico to Afghanistan. Did anyone see that coming? I sure didn't.
20. Because of the circles I roll in I definitely have more information on some teams than I do on others. I am also not real familiar with the Womens or Youth divisions. If you want to see something on here then feel free to contribute info. Otherwise we roll on.